Saturday, January 31, 2015

Hive 3 block done

Hi, I'm Heather from QA Creations.  The block is already on its way to Ireland, but I need to get the post done!  I did a nature theme for my bookshelf block for Ruth.

Stash Bee Hive 3 January 2015

She asked what our first quilt was and if we still have it... mine is kind of a two part answer.  When I first decided to learn, I bought some how to quilt books and signed up for a class at a quilt shop.

I very excited and got started on a rail fence quilt before I took the class.  Then I took the class and learned how I was really supposed to do it, and then finished the rail fence.  I donated the rail fence to Quilts for Kids, and kept the quilt from the class.  

The rail fence I donated is below.  It doesn't look that bad, but I really hope it didn't fall apart because knowing what I know now, some of those seams were less than secure.

Quilts for Kids 1

The quilt for the class was supposed to be a 4 block sampler (if I remember correctly), but I decided to make extra blocks and turn it into a large lap quilt.  This still gets a lot of use.

First Sampler Quilt

And that is how you end up with two first quilts.  They were made and finished simultaneously, and I quilted them the same day.  I don't know how to decide which was truly first.

Ruth, I hope you like your block!

1 comment:

Karisma said...

Oh my! You've been busy on the sewing front and look at your amazing finishes!!! =) Wonderful! I LOVE your book block! My sister is a Librarian and a book quilt has been in my head for a while. Now if only that quilt in my head manifested into a finished object! LOL. Thank you for sharing!