Thursday, February 19, 2015

Hive 2 February Block for Jo

How's it going so far? So far, so good. Two months in and I have enjoyed both January and February blocks for Stash Bee, Hive 2. And by that I mean, I have felt comfortable with progress so far and felt I have been able, I hope, to meet the standard.

Jo asked for a little applique for February. She asked for a low volume block, made up as we chose and to applique a free style butterfly or two or three in whatever colour we chose.

Luckily I took part in a lv charm swap last year. I have used most of them in my maple leaf quilt ( 17 years wip and counting) but there were enough left to make a start. I made them into a large enough square and then added some red polka dot (from my lqs)  butterflies. We have a colloquial expression in Norn Iron (N Ireland) that polka dot fabric is a shower of hail and I think this sums it up pretty well. After sewing on the wings, I sewed some feelers or antennae on the wings. After I added the black bodies I realised the feelers come out of the bodies not the wings!




I was so pleased with this I decided to make a second for Jo. I used a pale lemon stripe from my lqs and some lemon pearl bracelets. I added cerise pink shower of hail (Rose and Hubble) butterflies, and made the same mistake with the feelers. (Nothing like learning your lesson). I don't know if the lemon will be a LLLOOooow enough low volume for Jo, but if it is too strong, she can use it in the backing or in a cushion, or not.



I decided to make an executive decision and not cut these to size, They are both the required depth but broader than necessary. I haven't trimmed them as I may trim off the left side and they may have been the bit Jo really likes. The other reason is because I trimmed 2 other bee squares earlier in the week, and drastically mis measured!

I also included some peach butterfly fabric for Jo. I bought this specifically for a bee last year, I wanted to do an entomology square, and had some left over.  Now, entomology, isn't that a big word!!

Jo asked if we had a dinner party who would our 4 guests be. The answers have been interesting and varied. One of my other worker bees said she would ask her great great grandfather, a sea captain. I think that is a great idea. I am really into my genealogy. The problem is who to pick. Now even I think that 4 of my long dead relatives is a little macabre. So, back as far as I can go, to my antecedents in Yorkshire, England, way back in 1640. This ancestor was about  at the time of the English civil war in 1842. Where we Roundheads or Cavaliers? I think we have been Cavaliers,judging by the names of children born around that time. There was a sudden influx of small boys called Charles.  I would also like to reassure this ancestor that his family lived on through the Tudors, the Napoleonic wars and the two world wars to end in up living in Belfast, N Ireland. The other three guests, hmmm. Maybe Jane Seymour, 3rd wife of Henry V111. She has a story to tell and is often overlooked by Anne Boleyn.. I think I would have to have Sir Frances Drake who "discovered" America. Finally  Olive Baden Powell. One of the biggest influences on me growing up was the Girl Guide movement. I would like to thank Lady Baden Powell for all the fun I had between the ages of 10 and 17.

Looking forward to next month's bee challenge, I wonder what Yanick has in mind for us.

Helen xx
midgetgemquiltsblogspot.co.uk

1 comment:

Twinkle Toes said...

Love them! and two! I'm spoilt!! Thank you!!