Thursday, February 19, 2015

Hive 4: February's Block for Kathy

Hello! I am excited to be sharing my finished February Block with you all today. 

I love the color combo Kathy requested, and immediately thought of two specific pieces in my stash. I've had that script fabric for a while and actually just rediscovered it when cleaning out my fabric storage. The mustard floral was leftover from a skirt-gone-wrong project. (I'm glad to be able to put it to good use this time.)

In fact, I love this combo so much that I'm considering working it into to a couple of my own projects. Though, as I mentioned last month, I've got to bulk up my stash in the navy department. 

Also, as a note to anyone in hive 4 still waiting to sew their blocks: I misread the directions and sewed this block in more of a log cabin order as opposed to row by row. You can sort of see it clearer in the finished photo below. Even so, the block finished beautifully, and I don't believe the order impacted the overall design. That being said, I cannot wait to see Kathy's finished quilt. 

In her tutorial post, Kathy asked what's our favorite way to design. I would not say that I design quilts very often - I usually work from someone else's main pattern, altering only the color ways or sizes. But, on the rare occasion that I do design my own pattern, I tend to use Quiltography on my iPad or plain ole graph paper. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Emily shares her love for sewing, gardening, and children’s ministry on her blog, With Elephant Grace. When she’s not picking numerous loose threads off her lap, Emily likes to post about encouraging Compassion International Sponsorsstraw-bale gardening, and crafting. You can find out more about Emily by following her on Instagram.

No comments: