Thursday, April 2, 2015

Hive 4 April Tutorial

Hive 4 April Tutorial
by Heather Browne of HotPinkThread

Happy Spring,
Here in CT we are still hovering around 20-40 degrees in the last month, Mother nature forgot that March is Spring, I think. I am very much looking forward to the green grass and bright flowers of the spring, and opening the windows of my sewing studio.

Since we all are doing such a fabulous job with paper piecing in this group, I figured that I would continue the trend and have you make me the Eastern Sunrise Block from Happy Turtle.
 
I saw this block some time ago, and stumbled upon it again just the other day, so I figured how great would it be to make a quilt with all of your wonderful fabrics and this block.

Background Fabric -
Sections 1, 4, 6, and 10 of the block will be background fabric.
Please use some form of White. This can be solid White, a slightly off white like Kona Snow, White on White, or Low Volumes. I only ask that you avoid true creams & beiges.

Cutting measurements for each piece -
Background
Piece 1 - 5 x 8 inches
Piece 4 - 1.5 x 4.5 inches
Piece 6 - 1.5 x 2.5 inches
Piece 10 - 1.5 x 5.5 inches

Main Colors-
I like bright colors, like those shown in the block above and quilts below.
Pinks, Purples, Oranges, Teals, Aquas, Purples, Yellow, Lime
Use a variety of colors and mix them up.
(Please do not place in rainbow order.
NOT striped, navy, dark green,  black, brown, tan or grey, see photos below)

Cutting measurements for each piece-
Colors -
Piece 2 - 1.5 x 7.5 inches
Piece 3 - 2 x 6.5 inches
Piece 5 - 2 x 4 inches
Piece 7 - 1.5 x 2 inches
Piece 8 - 2 x 10 inches
Piece 9 - 2 x 7.5 inches
Piece 11 - 2 x 4.5 inches
Piece 12 - 1.5 x 2 inches


Here are a few examples of Quilt colors that I really like

Scrap Happy Quilt -RebeccaMae Designs - Craftsy
My crazy quilt block
 
My Quilt - Modern Grandma Baker
Photo courtesy of ArtQuiltmaker.com
 

The pattern for this block is Here.
Please be sure that your printer setting are on "Actual Size" or "100%", and not set to "Fit to Page".


To complete the block, you will need 4 printouts.
Each finished printout will measure  7.5  inches.
(Correction: The block piece will be 8 inches when printed)

Assemble the pieces of the block in numerical order.
It seems to work best, if you use the whole sheet of paper without trimming out the square until the end. Use a shorter than usual stitch length to make paper removal easier.

Remember with paper piecing that you assemble the fabrics on the backside of the paper, and sew from the front side with the visible lines.


After the 4 pieces are complete, Sew a basting stitch (largest stitch length your machine sews) approx. 1/8" from the outside edge of the block. Trim off the excess paper on the outermost square line and then assemble the 4 paper pieced units into a block, sewing on the inner square lines.

To allow you to be creative, I would like you to layout the 4 pieces in any fashion you would like. It does not have to be like the layout shown.


For help with how to paper piecing here is the tutorial
that I wrote for my block from last years Stash Bee  -



My question to you is this. What is your favorite sewing or quilting tool and why?


I look forward to seeing your creations. Please email me if you have any questions, or if you need me to print the pattern and mail it for you.

 

1 comment:

Happy Turtle said...

I just found this and I'm thrilled that you are making my block! :)
Enjoying seeing all your great work! :)
Would you guys mind if I shared on my blog and fb page? I'm so thrilled to see it at work!
Carol