Thursday, April 30, 2015

May Block Tutorial for Hive #1

It seems like we just started this Bee and my month is here already!  :)  First, a little about me.  My name is Jackie and I live in Oregon.  I am a mom of two boys ages 10 and 13.  Besides quilting, I love to work in my garden in the summer and crochet in the winter.  I also like to read which I do every single night :)  I like spooky/scary, mystery and paranormal romance.  Right now I am reading the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward.  If you like those types of reads, I highly recommend it.
 I am also an avid horseback rider.  We have 4 so taking care of them keeps me busy.  My other 1/2 is a team roper and the boys are learning as well.  Me on the other hand-- I would rather go a little slower :)  Hit the trail, take a beer out of my saddle pack and enjoy the scenery.


 This is my second time in the Stash Bee.  I was in two hives the original year it was started.  I took last year off from Bees and Swaps.  This was one of the quilts I finished from 2012 Stash Bee, Hive #2.  It's called Arkansas Crossroads.



Here it is, 3 years later, and it's my turn once again :)  For my block I chose the paper pieced version of the Kaleidoscope pattern.  I have always loved this pattern but have never made one.  I came across this one here from Kitchen Table Quilting and was instantly in love ♥  She shared templates on her blog, but I wanted a bigger paper pieced block.  I found this one from Fresh Lemons which has a free down loadable pattern.  I made two over the weekend and they came out perfect.  They stitch up really fast too :)

Download pattern here.  Print 4  and make sure it is at actual size, not fit to page.  There is a 1" line for reference on the pattern.

Here is my color inspiration courtesy of Design Seeds:

from DesignSeeds.com

Yellow, Lime Green, Dark Teal, Red-Orange and Light Lilac.  ♥ it!!  For the background, I would like low volume. Here are my fabrics:





As far as tutorials go, there isn't much to it.  We all have paper pieced before, especially last month.  I figured since we all made the origami crane for Liz that this should be simple enough.   To make the process go more smoothly, I would suggest doing the following:


Trim the pattern down and layout the pieces.


Decide which block you are making and mark the numbered section you plan to have as a print.  I put an "X" like the photo above.  That way you will know as you assemble each section, which will be print and which will be background/ low volume.


Here are my finished sections.  When you are happy with your layout, sew sections together.


If you plan on making the alternate block, remember to mark those sections that are going to be a print with an "X".


And here are my two finished blocks.  They measure 12 1/2" unfinished. If you have any questions, shoot me an email at: nwpatchwork@gmail.com

 Thank you very much!  I can't wait to see what you make :)

No comments: