Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Hive 9 - September Block for Grace

Hi all, this month our queen...aka Grace asked for a pineapple block. I really loved making this block, so much so that I made two. They went together quickly, once I cut my strips.  I am definitely putting a quilt using these blocks on my to do list.

I took my photos this morning before heading to the post office, so the low volume fabrics look much more white than they are. I'm not normally drawn to dark colors, but these blacks and grays are really calling my name.



I even sent Grace some of my leftover 1 1/2" strips.  I can't wait to see what the finished quilt.  Now for her question she asked for us to show photos of our sewing space.  My sewing room is a decent size or was until I added a long arm. But I've just about decided to make a couple of changes. The cabinet my sewing machine sits on is designed to fold down and be about 2/3 of the size it is now. And that is great, but since I never fold it down the space behind the door is dead space to me.  Also you can't see but behind my chair is a little door area, that isn't great for storing much.  So I'm thinking of getting an Ikea table so I can put those fabric tubs under one end of it, if not both ends. I am also thinking of changing out the chair. My sister bought this one for her desk and then decided she didn't like it. It is comfortable but takes up a lot of space.


The great part of the room is that it faces east and I get great morning light.  But since I sew mostly at night I have to have an extra lamp. I keep a chrome book to play movies/shows while I sew and a tablet to look up any directions/instructions/etc on the internet. Behind my chair is a cork wall. Now I'll be honest it isn't really that functional, I put them there to cover holes in the wall that one of my dogs ate. But it lets me keep my white board close and my mini foxes quilt that I won. Above my sewing machine I have a very cool metal piece my niece gave me for last Christmas that I need to get hung. Next to the stack of tubs is a cabinet that I store yardage and fat quarter bundles in and a book case that houses more tubs. The room works, but if I could design my own space it would be a little bigger so I could have a little more wiggle room.

Well that is it for me this month.  I can't wait to see what block I get to do next month. It has been a fun journey this year, and I've really had fun doing all the blocks.

No comments: