Thursday, January 14, 2016

January Gate Crashing

Carla @Granny Maud's Girl introduced me to the concept of "gate crashing" during last year's Stash Bee. The concept is simple: make a block for someone in another hive and ship it to them when it is their month as Queen Bee. This was especially easy to accomplish in January, as I am Queen Bee for Hive 9 and not making a block for anyone in my own hive. 
January 2016 Hive 1 - Pineapple Block
January 2016 Hive 1 - Pineapple Block
Alison from Hive 1 requested these very cute and fun pineapple blocks. They sew together quickly, and I just couldn't resist giving it a try.
January 2016 Hive 3 - Wreath Block
January 2016 Hive 3 - Wreath Block
Diana from Hive 3 put together a lovely wreath block tutorial. I am so glad she also said that red would work for her, because I actually had a few holiday / Christmas prints in red (but none in green)!
January 2016 Hive 5 - Five Crosses Block
January 2016 Hive 5 - Five Crosses Block
Audry of Hive 5 requested a five crosses block. I love the colors she selected for this block, and it also tugged at my heart that the quilt will be going to a friend going through hard times.
I look forward to seeing how all these quilts come together, and it was a lot of fun to spend a part of my Saturday sewing for others.

2 comments:

Jane Holbrook said...

Nice work. Lovely, generous blocks. The pineapple was a big favorite, at least 3 of us crashed her party. Lucky gals!!!

Cut&Alter said...

Gatecrashing a hive - now I have heard it all!! These blocks are lovely and the recipients are going to be very happy!