Thursday, September 1, 2016

Hive 7 - September Tutorial

It's all about HST's this month.

The colours I would like are white, grey, and black solids.  And one bright orange solid.

If you are a Kona lover, as I am, I used the following colours:  Iron, Coal, Silver, Pepper, White, Charcoal, Shadow, and Tangerine.


You will need:

  • 17 (seventeen) 4.5-inch white/grey/black squares
  • 1 (one) 4.5-inch orange square

Let's make HST's!  Pair two squares right sizes together.  Mark a diagonal line down the middle of one of the squares.  Sew on both sides of the marked line with a 1/4-inch seam.  Cut the HST's apart along the marked line.  Press toward the dark side, or press the seam open.  Trim to 4-inches square.

I like to trim my HST's before pressing open.  You can check out a tutorial here if you are interested in knowing more about that technique.

If you prefer making larger HST's so you have some wiggle room for trimming, you can cut your squares 5-inches -- that will give you extra room to trim the HST's down to 4 inches.

You will end up with 18 HST's, but only 16 are needed.  Put aside one orange HST and one white/grey/black HST.


Sew the HST's together -- four rows of four HST's.  Sew together randomly.



The block will be 14.5 inches unfinished.

I hope you enjoy making this block as much as I did.

Thanks so much.

~ Anja