Saturday, April 1, 2017

Hive 9 Tutorial - April Block for Sherry

Hello Everyone!

My name is Sherry Grant and I live in Sevierville, TN. We are most well known for being the childhood home of Dolly Parton. I live about 10 minutes from the Dollywood Theme Park.
I moved to TN about 3 years ago from North Carolina; when I married my husband after being a widow/single parent for 12 years.

I started quilting about 2 years ago, after being away from sewing for decades. I am mostly self taught, with lots of help from YouTube and various quilting forums. This is my first quilting bee.

My husband and I are both Children's Entertainers/Magicians and we travel a lot to perform and lecture. Our 2 cats are "Barnum" and "Bailey", and they live up to their circus performer names. I have 2 grown children. My son is 27 and my daughter is 24, which brings me to my quilt....

My daughter is a warrior. She has overcome birth injuries, physical disabilities (including 10 orthopedic surgeries) physical assault, and other obstacles. She is getting married this spring, and I am asking your help to make her wedding quilt. She wants me to make a queen sized quilt for her bed. It will be the biggest quilt I have made, and she picked a pattern with a lot of pieces. I am looking forward to the head start I will get from my hive with this pattern.

The block we will be doing is Hive 4 January 2017 block for Stephanie. You will find a link to the tutorial here:
http://stashbee.blogspot.com/p/hive-4_86.html

We will be doing the colors differently:
Cutting Directions
Fabric A:  40 - 2.5" x 2.5" scrappy squares IN ALL SHADES OF BLUE
Fabric B:  2 - 4.5" x 4.5" white on white squares 
Fabric B:  2- 4.5"x8.5" white on white rectangles


For Fabric A : please use a full spectrum of blues, turquoise, navy, indigo etc. See the picture of my sample block for reference. Batiks, solids, small prints, tone on tone are all fine. Please limit pastels. Use as many different fabrics as possible. My preference is no repeats.

For Fabric B: Please pick ONE white on white fabric for the larger squares and rectangles. I want these to match. Please go with white (not beige or gray)

Once you have picked colors, you can follow Stephanie's EXCELLENT tutorial for all directions and finished size. 

Thank you for your help on my labor of love

Sherry

Here is my sample block:



And here is a picture of my awesome daughter:







1 comment:

Havplenty said...

What an awesome story. I hope your daughter's quilt is spectacular. The colors chosen are so rich and beautiful.